Saturday 17 August 2013

Day 4 - breakfast fail - porridge soup

So I'd read this recipe on Pinterest for cinnamon porridge in the slow cooker. Not being a breakfast person I thought I'd give it a whirl. After all if I can set it away the night before and have it cooked waiting for me what's not to like? Well as it turns out the watery mess that awaited me this morning. My hubby isn't a big fan of cinnamon and it was too strong for him and the texture was way too loose. The recipe was 1 cup of oats to 3.5 cups of water with a teaspoon or two of brown sugar and half a teaspoon of cinnamon. You mix it up in the slow cooker and cook it overnight on low. It tasted way too watery tasting and when I added milk to improve the flavour it was an even less palatable texture. Won't be making it again. Got a better breakfast recipe to test tomorrow - spiced chorizo scrambled eggs. The one thing I have to say about my hubby, he is fantastic at making breakfasts. His favourite things to cook are fried egg sandwiches, beans on toast etc. Which although tasty don't quite fill the criteria for my challenge. But maybe I could take a run at adapting them? Spiced beans with flatbread or poached eggs with salsa? Well they're ones to test drive another day maybe.

No comments:

Post a Comment