Monday 6 January 2014

lunchbox revolution! why didn't I think of this sooner?!

Caught River Cottage Everyday yesterday and had a lunch appiphany.   What's wrong with my packed lunches at the moment?

They're repetative, dull, and ultimately not exciting.

I'm going to start looking at my lunches from a different perspective. Instead of the usual ham or cheese sandwiches or tuna pasta salad ... I'm gonna treat my fridge like my own personal deli and build my lunches like a pick and mix with 5 main components.

My husband got really excited at the prospect of this style of meal and as long as everything is prepped, he can put together whatever he wants and we can have what we each want rather than me avoiding foods I like but he doesn't as its easuer to make one batch rather than two.

The fun stuff is the sprinkles and condiments as they add the excitement to the lunchbox.  But I figure, if I fill my fridge with some of these prepped up I can put together any number of combinations to keep it exciting:

Starchy fillers:

Rice
pasta
New potatoes
cous cous
chickpeas
lentils
noodles
sweet potato
pitta bread
crutons
jacket potatoes
wraps


Tasty protein:

Leftover roast meat (chicken, beef, pork, lamb etc)
Tuna
smoked fish
prawns
quorn
bacon
sausages
chorizo
cheeses (feta, halloumi, cheddar, cottage etc)
Boiled eggs
butter beans
meatloaf/meatballs


Veg and fruit:

salad leaves
spinach
rocket
Carrots
asparagus
cucumber
beetroot
broad beans
tomatoes
red onions
peas
butternut squash
peppers
broccoli
beansprouts
cress
mango
apple
strawberries
citrus fruits


Sprinkles:

Herbs (basil, parsley, chives, mint, thyme etc)
Nuts and seeds
spribg onions
capers
dried fruit
chillies


Condiments:

Dressinds
hummus
pesto
curry paste
ground spices
mayonnaise
chutneys
pickles
chilli sauce
Natural/greek style yoghurt
soy sauce
sesame oil
peanut butter
homemade veggie pate`s (beetroot and mint, butterbean and chilli)


No comments:

Post a Comment