Wednesday 22 January 2014

Squash and butter bean stew, cous cous and feta

This recipe was to make a dent in a rather huge butternut squash I had loitering in my cupboard. I love how long a whole squash keeps unopened. However, a butternut squash rarely hangs around in my kitchen for long. I love how versatile they are, their sweetness,  and richness. The monster one I prepped tonight should make 3 separate dishes but first up.......

Squash and butter bean stew:















Serves 4

Ingredients:
2 small red onion sliced
1 red pepper chopped
1 green pepper chopped
4 small carrots chopped
2 tbsp tomato purée
3tbsp balti paste
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 can butter beans drained
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can hot water
1 veggie oxo cube
2 cups of butternut squash diced
A few splashes of Tabasco
A few splashes of worschester  (yes I know I can't spell) sauce. Let's just say lea and perrins. Ha ha.

Method:
1. Dry fry the onion, pepper, carrot and squash
2. Add the garlic, tomato purée, balti paste and crumble in the oxo cube. Stir together until the tomato purée has cooked out a little
3. Add the tinned tomatoes and water. Stir to combine.
4. Stir in the butter beans, Tabasco and Lea and Perrins
5. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20-30 mins until the squash and carrot are tender through.
6. Serve with cous cous and crumble over some feta

No comments:

Post a Comment